Thursday, December 17, 2009

FAT, FAT, and more FAT: Reality TV, Style, and NYC

Can I have some fat, please, with a slice of fat,and a side of fat to go?

Saw some fat news in my usual journey uptown from the L'Est Village.

Got a FAT family? Well, let Jillian Michaels move in!

First article I saw was about a NEW fat reality show. I guess Jilliam Michaels is not having enough with on Biggest Loser; she'd like an extra helping of fat. Michaels is said to begin a new fat reality show on NBC training families.

What made me laugh in the article was that Michaels could not even comment about her own new show; the casting director--Jodi Thomas did. I have personally met Jodi, as she was also one of the casting directors for More to Love.

Here is what jarred me: "Michaels will handle not just fitness intervention but also help with emotional struggles, something Thomas said she's had success on with 'The Biggest Loser.'" Note to Michaels: if you would like to help 'people' emotionally and show you care, do your own damn PR. Showing an actual real and sincere connection equals better TV equals better ratings. Just a thought.

'Cause you know all us fattys will be "sitting on the couch eating bon-bons" watching that show. Not. Ahem. For the record, 10 years, no couch--39 + and no bon-bon.

See article here. That might not be news to yous (it's plural--I live in NYC, yo!) in the Fat-O-Sphere, but that was 'news' according to MY AM New York on 12/15/09, page 26.

Style

Ah, style, as in.. do you have any? Oh, wait, that would be manners. Opps, Nope. I forget, this is America 2009.

Well, someone with what seems to be style and class is Marie Claire's girl Ashley Falcon who takes on the fashion world at 5'2" and 220 pounds. She writes a monthly column at the magazine entitled "Big Girl in a Skinny World." I bet saying 'fat girl' would have been inflammatory in some way. (I ponder.)

I read the column, I think she did a fab job. of course what is interesting is the comments. Vile. Blah, blah, blah, "so obese at 220 pounds." Couple of things kind of stand out to me. She finds being chic at a size 18 an 'epic struggle.' Try a size 28, honey.

What I felt bad about was that she write about how she was invited to a 'stoli and stiletto' (good one, Ashley!) fashion party, but could not go because she was not dressed 'appropriately' and spent the time sulking on her couch instead. Now, I am SO sure that fashion people can be cruel (I saw/read The Devil Wears Prada), but I gotta believe that your smile and confidence wins over what you are wearing every time. Case in point. I was so happy I could cry (and kinda did) when I got to meet Mary Johanson from the Alliance of Women Film Journalists, who not only wrote about me on her blog; but became a backer to FAT GIRLS FLOAT! Now, I knew showing up at this swanky shin-dig, beautifully hosted by Jennifer Merin, in a stunning silk embroidered jacket, of About.com/President of the Alliance of Women Film Journalists, meant I should look as good as possible, but I also knew that 1) I was going to be the biggest chick in the room and 2)did not own anything 'name brand' including NO Prada bag. I do have a fake Jimmy Choo that one girl on the subway lusts after weekly.

However, I walked the room with my vodka, looking a little out of place among the uber-cool, but found people who were interested in me and in my film--regardless of size and specifically because of size--and my size. Make it work for you. Case in point--smile and substance trumps stilettos and label. Press the flesh, get a card, send a follow-up email greeting. You never know! I hope you give that due consideration next time, Ashley. Unless your couch is seeing some serious 'real' action, go out. Go to the party, the party of life--you're invited. You never know who you might meet--or share a taxi with. Wink.

The last thing I am going to mention is a combo--between the vile comments left for her, and others to read, is the whole fact that "they" think "WE" can't be--or allowed to use!- the term CURVY because we're fat. Oh, ok. Say what?! You can be ANY size and curvy. NO ONE owns the term, lady. I just don't get that how women can say that. A curve in the road, big or small , is a curve. A curve in freakin' geometry is A CURVE. We all have them, every person has them in some capacity. Curve of a CHIN (or double!) as example, perhaps. CURVE of a SMILE. At the same time, Ashley writes about "jeans that work for curvy women." Isn't it, as fat women, and the vast differences in our curves and fat storage that makes us so different and hard to fit? The 'standards' don't exactly apply--even though we have them (i.e. Lane Bryant). Curvy--uh huh-- we ALL have the right to use that word. deal with it.

However-- check out 'our' Ashley at Marie Claire. She is worth the read. And the picture is classic!

NYC drinks FAT

New York City's latest 'health' advertisement centers on the ill-effects of soda--but seems to ONLY mention ONE effect--FAT (of course).

Albany (New York State) has decided not to up the ante in the "Obesity Tax" as it was labeled by media and not tax soft drinks. And my beloved New York City has decided to create a campaign "Don't drink yourself FAT" or "Pour on the Pounds." At first it targeted alcohol consumption. Too many happy hours and beer specials. Now it is targeting soda.

Interesting...let's only mention FAT and Obesity, not any other harmful effects soda may have. I consider soda consumption and individual thing. I stopped drinking soda (let me do the math) about 15 years ago, when I loved back to the States. Soda, for my family, was not a regular thing. It was a holiday, we're-having-guests kinda thing. I would in general, and now--very rarely--will I drink soda. If I do, it is usually because I feel some type of stomach upset-- and it might be the quicker remedy to sip--ginger-ale or Coke-a-Cola for nausea. I am a tea-coffee-milk-water person in general. I do not crave soda, and am not in the habit of drinking it. For ME, I don't care for it, and do not consider it a healthy choice because it is filled with sugar, etc. One can equals 10 spoonfuls of sugar. It is just something that does not appeal to me.

NYC Department of Health notes that one can of soda a day can add up to 10 pounds. And orange juice can add 4 pounds a year with daily consumption, by the way. What I find interesting (?) is that if you are going to have a campaign for "healthier choices" disguised as fat hate, then at least offer a campaign with ALL of soda's side affects. Be comprehensive, dag nabbit.

Despite the 10 spoonfuls of sugar, soda does promote tooth decay. Soda erodes tooth enamel which leads to cavities. Don't believe me? The University of Iowa School of Dentistry did a test on what beverages were most corrosive to teeth and found that Red Bull and Gatorade actually corrodes teeth at a faster rate than Coke-a-Cola.

Soda is also very damaging to bones. What? Yup, it weakens the bones because it sucks out calcium due to the phosphates, and has even been associated with osteoporosis.

Negative caffeine effects have also been associated with soda as some people become caffeine dependent, and, though unproven, affecting brain development in children with overuse.

Lastly, James Duke, Ph.D. found that soda did damage white blood cell's ability to ingest and kill gonoccal bacteria for seven hours. Somehow, that sounds important.

My Dad used Coke in the garden to catch slugs. Ain't no one getting his tomaters.

So... NYC Health Department, why didn't you mention any of these other things in your ad campaign except FAT?!

Watch video and read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment